Here are some resources that may be helpful to individuals who need help paying utilities. The resources are available through state and public housing authorities.
Description: This program is a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) program that provides temporary discount on monthly broadband bills for qualifying low-income households. Eligible households can receive up to a $50/month discount on broadband service and associated equipment rentals and a one-time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, tablet, or desktop computer (with a copayment of more than $10 but less than $50). Only one monthly service discount and one device discount is allowed per household.
Eligibility: Household income at or below 135% of the federal poverty guidelines OR any member of the household:
- Qualifies for Lifeline benefits through participation in SNAP, Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income, Federal Public Housing Assistance, or Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit;
- Experienced a substantial loss of income since February 29, 2020 with a total household income in 2020 at or below $99,000 for single filers and $198,000 for joint filers;
- Received a federal Pell Grant in the current award year;
- Received approval for benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision, in the 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 school year;
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider’s existing low-income or COVID-19 program, and that provider received FCC approval for its eligibility verification process.
Dates: Projected to open later in April, and will stay open until funds run out or six months after the Department of Health and Human Services declares an end to the COVID-19 health emergency, whichever is sooner.
Description: Additional funds for Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program. LIHEAP assists low-income households with their heating and cooling energy costs, bill payment assistance, energy crisis assistance, weatherization and energy-related home repairs.
Eligibility: State, Territory, Tribe
Closing Date: None Listed